Tuesday 1 October 2019

Enjoying Charlottetown

21 June - 14 July

Arriving to visit our wonderful son and family in the middle of June, we thought we were arriving to  summer. We soon learnt otherwise. Thankfully, we had come prepared with clothing for both seasons. I prefer winter cold to summer heat, so I was happy to just soak up the beauty of this beautiful town and island, whether in the cold, rain, cloud or sunshine. I didn't however, enjoy the 2 days that were a horrible, humid, 35C.  Four days previously the maximum had been only 15C.

Charlottetown is the capital of Prince Edward Island and full of charm. `


A damp main street greeted us over the first few days.




Sunday markets.




We had to laugh at the John Cleese road crossing sign.


Sunday afternoon busking.


Roof gardens at the muesum.


An unexpected stage review on 'Acceptance.'


I hadn't realised until too late, but this was the end of a paid, historical tour.


Yes we went on the mouse hunt and eventually found them all. We were given some help by young children doing the same.




Lovely stone churches.


The marina




One of two ships in port on this day.




We watched the arrival of the Norwegian Aida.


Peakes Quay - eateries and an entertainment stage.


'The Cow' of Cows icecream.


Lively celtic entertainment.


One Nation's Day


Cenotaph


Lobster mural.


Interesting bins.


The Lion's Mane or Artic Red jelly fish spotted in countless numbers beside Peakes Quay. So amazing and beautiful to watch.



Wonderful Victoria Park




Views from its water's edge board walk.




A tad damp and cold on this morning.










Trying to set up a selfie without my tripod, I found my very first 'rock'. It had travelled from BC. A week later I discovered 2 more. On returning home I have found 2 more. One placed by Rocks QLD and the other AJ Rocks. I hadn't realised that the 'rock' craze was so huge. They certainly brighten one's day when found.




This lighthouse sits on the shoreline at the western end of Victoria Park. Its mood changed with the weather and time of day.










I loved the homes with their lush green lawns, trees and flowers. 


We tried to join the Canada Day Celebrations, but it was a tad wet for most.
.



The fireworks were postponed to the following evening.


Mussels were being collected on the shoreline of the bay. I certainly don't love them this much.


A small but wonderful city to explore.

I would love to read your comment.


18 comments:

  1. Lovely sunset pics! Wow, you saw and did a lot. Always enjoy your vacation photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were here for 3 weeks. I'm now back for Ben's birthday and am in love with autumn!

      Delete
  2. So much to see! I loved it all, but particularly the mouse, the lighthouse-- oh heck, all of it. I am still pondering Aida as a Norwegian. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha re Aida! Yes, it was all wonderful and still is, particlarly with its autumn colours.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing place! The architecture, the sea, the lighthouses... all so beautiful, but actually the best photo is the first one, with those gorgeously cheerful picnic tables. :)
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed the tables in the rain today and they still managed to look cheerful.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for being my tour guide to charming Charlottetown! I didn't even need my umbrella. The old buildings downtown and homes have such interesting, varied architecture. Those jellyfish photos are amazing. I get mesmerized by their movements if I see them swimming. I've found painted rocks in CA, but never in CO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left a painted Lady Bird rock in Victoria park. I hope I get to see where she travels too.

      Delete
  5. Wow - so many stunning shots! I really love the town and your sunset photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad I took a 9pm walk and was rewarded with this magnificent show.

      Delete
  6. Wow Helen, what an interesting place to visit. So many things I loved about this post. The mice especially! and what a difference in temperature from one day to the next! When I was a teenager, I read all the Anne of Green Gables books and I spotted a poster on one of your photos for Anne and Gilbert. lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I too fell in love with Anne as a teenager. I never dreamed that one day I would be visiting so regularly.

      Delete
  7. I, like you, prefer cool over hot. What a beautiful place! I am sure the main attraction was the visit with family, but what a beautiful place to explore, too! We have what is called Kindness Rocks here in the U.S. I helped one of my women's groups create some a couple of years ago. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, as a result of this visit for Ben's birthday, I'm not sure I could cope with 6 months of such cold weather. It's just October and the max is 9 and lower. I'd hate to be cooped up inside for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some many lovely images ... my picks are the historical dresses and those beautiful jelly fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. The jelly fish were mesmerising.

      Delete
  10. Seems it bit odd to hear a Queenslander say that she prefers cold to heat! Time to move to Tasmania, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 35C 'Down Under' today and it is only the 7 October.
      Tassie sounds great. The hiking options are excellent too.

      Delete