Saturday 6 January 2024

A Year of Tree Blossoms

Living in the tropics, there is no real transition from one season to another. Six months of heat and 6 months of cool/cold. There are pockets of 'seasonal' colour. Days lengthen and shorten to a small degree. Each month though, seems to have a  dominant tree flowering. October is definitely the month to spy Jacaranda flowers and this means that senior school and university exams are imminent.

I've compiled photos of the trees flowering in my area, during each month.

January - Buckinghamia or Ivory Curl, an elegant, creamy white beauty that the bees love.



Golden Shower, Casia Fistula


February - Lillypilly
I couldn't name a definite February tree. Many overlap. This Lilly Pilly however, is found on one of our favourite walks in the D'Aguilar National Park, at Mt Glorious NW of Brisbane. We try to visit each year to see the purple carpet its fruit make.



March - Golden Penda - a bird attracting, showy, golden puff ball.




April - Toad Lily
I know it is April when this small lily flowers at the time of a friend's birthday. Hailing from Japan, it is a perenial plant in the lily family Liliaceae. Just perfection, and needs no looking after at all.


Our Camellia's also commence flowering. It's supposedly just the beginning of autumn.
 




May - Snowflakes 
Snowflakes is a member of the Pointsettia Family. Long flowering, it is always stunning against a clear blue, winter sky.




June - Wattle Trees
The Wattle is Australia's national flower. One third of the 960 wattle species flower throughout winter.



July - Golden Shower
Pyrostgia venusta - Masses and masses of orange, cascading trumpets, flowering over several months.

Our neighbour's fence.


A local country town view, and the Golden Trumpet vine in full splendeour.


August - Grevilleas and Bottle Brush
It is still winter and quite often our coldest month, with westerlie winds blowing, but the colour and variety of  our 'wildflowers' is stunning, specially in the cold morning light.




My garden shrubs.


September - Silky Oak
These have been stunning this year. They are the largest species in the Grevillea family. The top photo in  August above, is also of the Grevillea family.





October - Jacaranda
Hailing from South America, they lose their leaves just prior to producing their breathtaking purple display. 



November - Poinciana Tree
Native to Madagascar, their bright, orange flowers herald the coming of summer. It is not suitable for suburban backyards, [which are sadly, rapidly disappearing] but parks and avenues have them in abundance. 

This Poinciana was planted when we built our home on half an acre in 1983. We sold the home in 2007 as the garden was just too big for us and we were in a 2 year drought.



December - Frangipani








Illawarra Flame Tree
Native to our rainforests, its bright red, bell-shaped flowers, in pendulous clusters, cover the whole leafless tree, making a spectacular display.





It would seem that I cannot keep my post simple. The intent was to just display one photo for each month, but as I scrolled, others kept jumping out at me. I love seeing the seasonal beauty of so many of the blogs that I follow. This excercise has made me realise I have equal, but different beauty on my doorstep.

Here are a few other plants/trees whose beauty I can't find a month for them to identify with. They can be spotted throughout the year.

Bouganvillea




Flowering Gums


Tropical Waratah Tree


Bauhinia Tree

Tibouchina Austenville in all its magnificent purple.

Crepe Myrtle
A belated addition after my morning walk today. They are a shrub that was in everyone's garden in the 50's/60's. Rarely now, but they are very showy at the moment. I am wondering if these are a new dwarf version. They were quite spectacular en masse like this.

Further on, a footpath specimen.

These are all my images except the Tibouchina. I can't believe I haven't one amongst my thousands!

I would love to read your comment.

19 comments:

  1. What an amazing collection of fabulous trees, Helen! Thank you for this post full of colours and sunshine. I don't know if I would like to live in the tropics, but flowers all year round does sound lovely.
    (Here half a metre of snow and -30 C this morning. :))
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrrrrr Sara, that is incredibly cold. Only 28 C with cloud and drizzle today. So glad I have brightened your day. 😍

      Delete
  2. I see we're about to get a blast of arctic air later next week--- I hope they're wrong. Your pictures made me feel lots warmer. Lovely blossoms, beautifully caught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Bill. I hope it isn't as 'artic' as expected. We are expecting more heavy rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Helen this is such a great idea putting together all the trees and colours for each month in one big post. With this hitting me all at once, it puts in perspective the beautiful trees that you get to see throughout an entire year! We all experience beauty in our little pieces of paradise and I absolutely love seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed sharing, Alexandra. These are the dominant species. There are so many more, but many I don't know their name or I just enjoy them when they flower, as I don't know what month to expect them in.

      Delete
  5. I love the colour of Australia and you capture it so beautifully, Helen! The name lilly pilly is a fun name!. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilly Pilly is a fun mame, Marie. On our walk yesterday, we spotted huge specimens. They were in full flush of fresh, pink leaves. From a distance, I thought it was blossom. Just stunning.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post! I had no idea Australia had flowering trees year-round. They are all so beautiful, I'd love to photograph them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for the visit, Linda, but I don't know what month is best.

      Delete
  7. Oh that was a beautiful walk through your colourful year of trees. The only ones we have are camellias just beginning to come into flower now. So much to enjoy in your corner :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your poor camilleas in your dreadful weather. The pinks would be a bright spot, though.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful post! Most of these flowers and trees I have never seen before. I really enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margi. Our trees are quite a contrast to your European trees and are not deciduous.

      Delete
  9. I did so enjoy this post, it reminded me of Queensland living. Some of your trees have later dates here and some of your undated trees definitely have a date here in my 4 seasons world. The Bouganvillea flowers in late spring the same time as as the Jacaranda and does not flower as long. The Tropical Waratah Tree was the highlight of my Autumn garden in the Blue Mountains. Tibouchina makes Autumn interesting. Crepe Myrtle is a late spring/summer flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, I'm glad this post rekindled memories of Queensland living. It seems strange that a Tropical Waratah would be outstanding in the Blue Mountains and in Autumn. I would love to see it in flower. A post for you.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful journey through a year of your foliage! All are spectacular but I absolutely love the color of the Jacaranda blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Kim, the purple hue of the Jacarandah is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos would make a wonderful calendar. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete