Saturday 1 October 2022

Getting the Weather Right

 Saturday 1 October

Jan had messaged me back in June re joining her and Joc to walk the Border Track from O'Reilly's to Binna Burra, a total of 21.4 km. I was visiting my son in Canada at the time, but we set a date for Saturday 17 September. Several days prior we had had several days of very heavy rain and the decision was made to delay the adventure by 2 weeks. 

Yesterday the forecast was for patches of light rain and, as we have been warned it is going to be a summer of rain thanks to El Nino, we decided not to postpone again. We arrived at O'Reilly's at 8.30 am. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive for Jan.

Coffee and cake enjoyed, we excitedly set off down the dry track. Jan's husband was meeting us at Binna Burra to transport us home. A meeting time of approximately 4 pm was made.


As we had our cuppa, we spotted both the Regent and female Satin Bowerbird [previously taken photos] sitting in the trees near our table.

Fifteen minutes into our walk a Mountain Parrot flew to a branch just in front of me, and unusually, didn't fly off as we approached. I suspect he may be regularly fed at the National Park Visitors Centre. It was a real treat though, to be so close for so long.

The trail soon narrowed as we entered the rainforest proper. Whip birds called as we stood in awe of the ancient Antarctic Beech trees, possibly up to 2000 years old. [Time was approx 10.25 am]

10.30 am - the drizzle has commenced and the trail is becoming messy. 

It was a mossy, mystical world we had now entered. The whole year has been wet, so the forest was lush green and vibrant. Vines twisted round tree trunks. The Staghorns, Crows Nests and Tree Ferns looked stunning. Rich mosses covered fallen giants in a soft carpet and Spanish mosses clung to uptight branches creating mysterious scenes. 





The wet forest litter created an autumn scene, but our trees are not deciduous.

Soon after the photo above was taken, it seemed that the heavens had opened completely. For a good hour, no photos were taken and we walked with heads bowed, watching every slippery step we took.

As the rain got heavier the leeches came out. Walking behind Jan, I was able to warn her of each arrival. A flick of a business card soon had them gone. Joc and I felt a little protected with our long trousers but in the latter half of the hike, I could see them crawling up my trouser legs. Given the conditions, I just had to ignore them. Well, that is until I felt something odd inside my mouth. Joc checked and found one attached to my front upper teeth. It was soon removed and we carried on!

At midday, there was a glimmer of hope as the sky lightened.


It wasn't to be. We had fellow hikers passing us, and all as sodden as we. Everyone felt cheated by the weather forecast.

We met hikers coming from Binna Burra and we learnt that we still hadn't reached halfway. My GPS had stopped working in the cold. Eerie gusts of wind often sent cascades of rain droplets into our faces to keep us 'cheerful', when it wasn't bucketing down with rain.



Endless tree fall and tree trunks blocked the path.

1.11pm - the halfway marker reached! At the pace we were making, our 4 pm deadline with Tony wasn't going to be made. Thankfully Joc's phone was able to message Tony that we were okay, just delayed.


Soon after reaching this milestone, we passed a Mum and Dad and their 8 year old son. He asked if they were nearly there. It was heartbreaking to have to tell him there was still a L O N G way to go.

Thankfully for us, this half of the track, although very wet until the final 3 kilometres, was a more even descending path and less boggy. We made good time and arrived at 4.30 pm. We were totally saturated for over half of the trek. My hands were so cold I couldn't undo my zip or buttons. Tony was very relieved to see us, but not as much as we were to see him, our change of clothes and a heated car.

We drove the hour back to my home, where Frank had brandy and hot soup waiting for us.
 [The soup pre-prepared by me!] 18 mm of rain had fallen here. I wonder how much up on the mountain?

It wasn't long before the tension of the day faded away and we were able to laugh about all the funny incidences that took place. At no time did I feel we were in any danger. It was just a matter of keeping on plodding and not thinking about how freezing cold we were. Come shower time, I discovered 4 leech spots on my abdomen, 2 on my neck and one on my hand. They aren't painful but they become very itchy.

Five kilometres done and 5 kilometres to go!


I would love to read your comment.

14 comments:

  1. What a day, Helen! I could handle the rain and the cold but I would become hysterical because of those leeches!
    The views and plants are lovely. Especially the first photos charmed me with their colours - of the birds and your lilac clothes. :)
    Wishing you pleasant summer days! Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a taxing day, Sara, but looking back, we are really pleased with ourselves. We plan to do it in dry weather but that could be quite sometime away, given the weather forecasts.

      Delete
  2. unbelievable. It is impossible to predict the weather these days, other than predicting rain. I love the regent bowerbird we don't see those around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blower birds are incredibly beautiful. I only ever spot them in rainforest at altitude. I hope you aren't being hit with this latest deluge.

      Delete
  3. Well, the birds are pretty and the three of you are wearing colourful clothing but the brightest part of this day to me sounds like the soup and brandy at your home! A trio of troopers you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandra. It was a difficult day and we certainly could have done without the leeches.

      Delete
  4. You and your friends are amazingly tough! I'd have turned around when the leeches came out. Great job completing the hike and now you have great memories with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. The leeches timed their arrival well. It was too late to retrace steps.

      Delete
  5. The lush green looks so beautiful, compared to the dry, brown landscape we've experienced with our drought. However, I must say that I don't think I would have enjoyed that hike - especially the leeches! Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to read that you are still in drought. We have an overabundance of rain again. Wish I could send you some / lots! I'm surprised I don't have more bites, given the conditions.

      Delete
  6. The birds are very pretty. What a walk through the rain forest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margi. It was quite an adventure!

      Delete
  7. Another fabulous adventure though the cold, wet conditions and the leeches had me hyperventilating a bit! The parrots were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Barb. Please don't hyperventilate! We bashed it out and had the loveliest, gentle walk through our Botanical Gardens yesterday.

    ReplyDelete