Sunday 20 September 2020

A Splash of Spring Colour

 

Thankfully, spring's arrival this year has been uneventful. Whilst one week had us reaching for our coats and the next, summer wear, we haven't had the soaring temperatures and winds that brought horrific bushfire conditions last year.

Here in sub tropical, SE Queensland, very few gardens have spectacular floral displays, unlike those where many of my blogger readers are from. The drought conditions of 2005 and 2006 resulted in garden lovers choosing to plant  hardy, native shrubs and plants. At present our bottle brushes are quite spectacular, but they don't give that dense colour palette, of a temperate garden. 

During the past few weeks I've spotted glimpses of colour here and there.  

Natives on our Somerset Trail hike, Mt Mee.





Lone trees on a suburban walk.



Golden glow in an acreage garden.

This lovely potted colour was discovered when I changed the usual route for my morning walk.

A couple of years ago the groundsmen of the golf club planted bottlebrushes [calistemons] around the 6th green which we overlook. They aren't well looked after, but this spring they have burst into colour. Here they are in the early morning light.





The wind has played havoc with my orchids, when they have just finally bloomed.

One of the upsides of not being able to travel this year, is that I have spent more time in my garden, and am actually here as spring arrives. 

Little pockets of colour here and there, are enjoyed as I move around the house.


These are the traditional freesia, and their strong perfume wafts through the garden.








The potted colour seen here, was created for a friend for her return from staying with her daughter during Covid. I'm loving them, but missing her.

Note the orchids in the background. 8 purple! I've only ever had one flower before. 



Native, King Orchid

Our Grevillea, Misty Pink, reaching for the sunlight.


We get to enjoy our neighbour's Grevillea, Ivory Whip.

Last week I joined three friends for  an early visit to Toowoomba. Its annual, spring 'Carnival of Flowers 'is the longest running floral event in Australia.  Only 1 1/2 hours drive from Brisbane, its elevation of 691m, makes a big difference temperature wise, with the gardens a riot of colour. This colour will be shared in my next post.

I would love to read your comment.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Helen, it seems to me that you have spectacular floral displays everywhere around you. :)
    Wonderful, exotic plants and flowers. Many of our indoors plants grow happily outside there.
    Yet, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how gardens in a cooler area look like.
    Thank you for the lovely post and have a great week ahead!
    PS It is a viper (in my latest post), not really a friend of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. My garden is particularly lovely at present but I would really love to have the cottage garden look. Thankfully for you, your viper isn't poisonous.

      Delete
    2. It's venom toxicity is relatively low but the bites can be life-threatening especially to small children and elderly people. That's why the adders are not welcome.
      I'm really happy we don't have your dangerous animals here!

      Delete
  2. Oh such glorious blooms and so different from those we see here. I envy your spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You envy my spring! I assume our temperatures? I was in total awe of your spring last year.

      http://outandabout3.blogspot.com/2019/07/hapiness-is.html

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous and vibrant splashes of colour. My heart feels lifted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have been able to reciprocate the feeling your posts give me.

      Delete
  4. Stunning colours, great to see as winter approaches here in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing all your lovely spring colors. It's dry dull and drab here right now - the lull between summer and fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry that your dry has led to such horrific repercussions.

      Delete
  6. This all looks pretty spectacular to me, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David.Its beauty is enhanced by the constant birdsong we are so fortunate to enjoy throughout the day.

      Delete
  7. It looks like beautiful color to me - no matter the season! I love those pink trees. And at the same time your colors are vibrant, ours are beginning to be the muted colors of fall in Central Kansas. I am enjoying the more moderate temperatures these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink tree is a South American tree that seems to me, been recently introduced to Australia. It is vertainly stunning. Tabebuia palmeri or pink trumpet tree.

      Delete
  8. Hello again, Helen, and happy weekend!
    Thank you for your comment today. According to the news, the smoke passed us rapidly at a height of several kilometres. We didn't notice anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. It is still an incredible distance for the smoke to have travelled and confirms the intensity of these destructive fires.

      Delete